Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Weekly Update

----- Original Message ----- From: Tyler Ashcroft
To: 'Chelsey Raymond' ; 'Colby Ashcroft' ; 'JACQUELYN ASHCROFT' ; deeannash@comcast.net ; 'Amy' ; 'Billings, Scott' ; 'Brock Taylor' ; aaron.anderson@L-3com.com ; 'Shane Larsen'
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 10:26 AM
Subject: weekly update


This week we suffered from a significant lack of excitement when compared with the past few weeks of the summer. On Thursday of last week we managed to go downtown to the amusement park during the evening. Jacque I took turns playing with Macy in the wave pool while the other person rode the speed slides. Meanwhile, Keaton lay unattended in his stroller. After a few hours of swimming, we went into ride portion of the park and Macy rode the Merry-go-round twice and we went home. On Saturday I managed to do just enough yard work to make it appear as though we are not white trash. Then Macy and I went to the park, rode the Lion's club train, played in the river, and spent time waiting in line to go down the slides. On Sunday I was called to 2nd Counselor in the young men presidency, Deacon's quorum advisor, and scout master. I thought that I had missed enough church and made enough inappropriate comments to avoid a calling which requires so much work, but unfortunately, in a ward with only 75 active members even sub par members are asked to contribute. I was also told that our Ward strongly encourages the youth to participate in the scouting program. Because I love being outdoors there is a perception that I enjoy scouting. I have been doing my best to maintain that perception. However, those who really know me are aware that I am have always advocated for the separation of church and scouts. For now I will have to my best to reconcile my personal philosophy with my religious obligations. This week I finished a great book called Blood and Thunder and Epic of the American West. The book is about manifest destiny and primarily follows the adventures of Kit Carson during the pre civil war era in the American Southwest. As a sub-theme, the author did an excellent job of showing how the westward expansion involved an unprovoked an unjustified war against Mexico, who was simply a weaker nation unable to defend the land which had recently just acquired from Spain; and, how the American government essentially supported the eradication of the Native Americans. The end of the book follows 9,000 Navajo Indians on "the long walk" which is second only to the Cherokee Indians "trail of tears" in terms of displacement of the Native people from their home lands. My parents are coming into town on Wednesday night and I am hoping to be able to mow are weeds tonight before they come. We are planning on going to the amusement park, the Rockies game, and spending a day in the mountains. At work I am still assigned nearly full-time to the West Tavaputs EIS and doubt that I will have any type of break from the project until around October. Next week I am will be going out to the field, which is a nice break from the office, but involves leaving the wife and kids, which is never fun. In family news, Keaton was able to sit by himself this week for about 10-20 seconds, and Macy is obsessed with the Disney princess. On Saturday we made a trip to the Disney store, which Macy still believes is Disneyland (hope to keep it that way for a while). For her birthday, which is not until December, she has asked for an "exquisite gown and tiny glass slippers." She also would like a princess backpack and a Snow White nightgown.

Hope all is well.

Tyler

1 comment:

Callisters said...

Jacque-
Very cute! Keaton is getting so big. I am going to add you to my blog, hopefully that is okay. It is a fun way to keep in touch when so many people live so far away.

Courtney